Our modern life is dominated by physical inactivity and the resulting problems. We sit while traveling on a plane, in a car, on a bus or train. We sit while watching TV. We work sitting at the desk in front of a computer screen. In short, we hardly walk at all.
Sedentary way of life
As a major result of this immobility, the leg muscle pump responsible for venous return is not being activated. This lack of activity causes chronic venous insufficiency because the muscle pump activity is the only method of stimulating venous return of lower limbs.
1 in 3 adults (2/3 women and 1/3 of men) is affected by problems related to poor venous return.
Causes of heavy legs
The factors favoring the appearance of problems of heavy legs and painful legs are:
– Heredity (family history is the most important risk factor)
– Pregnancy (period of hormonal changes)
– Gender (role of sex hormones, oral contraceptives, taking hormonal replacements during menopause)
– Diet and lifestyle (sedentary)
– Unsuitable clothing (too tight)
– High risk sports (hypertension)
– Air travel (prolonged sitting)
– Prolonged sitting (i.e. long haul flights).
Symptoms of venous diseases:
– Heavy legs (legs are numb, painful, tense);
– Edema (swelling of ankles and feet in the late afternoon or after prolonged immobilization: travelling long distances in a sitting position, working long hours in sitting position);
– Night cramps;
– Venous pain.
These symptoms can cause the appearance of and also the worsening of the existing conditions, such as: spider veins, varicose veins, dermatitis, varicose ulcers and venous thrombi.
The phenomenon of heavy legs is one of the earliest manifestations and the most common venous insufficiency. It usually occurs during prolonged immobility (sitting or standing) and may worsen during the day, particularly in hot weather. It is often associated with other disorders: tingling, discomfort, redness, swelling of the ankles. Varicose veins and small dilated veins (spider veins) are the most visible signs of venous insufficiency, but do not wait until they appear to start worrying about them.
Ways to prevent venous problems and keep your legs well:
– Walking – 30 minutes of walking each day is enough to activate the muscle pump and avoid venous stasis which is the main cause of venous disorders (heavy legs, edema, varicose veins);
– Venous contention – compression stockings and socks prevent the veins from expanding but do not stimulate the venous circulation;
– Skin care – creams and gels are effective against heavy legs because their application requires a massage that stimulates the calf muscles;
– Veinotonic – anti-inflammatory properties;
– Lymphatic drainage;
– Sporting activities – walking, cycling or swimming improve toning of the muscles
Exercise daily to prevent heavy legs
AIRVEIN offers an innovative, natural, simple and fun solution against heavy legs. The exercises performed with AIRVEIN eliminate venous stasis, which is the main cause of poor blood circulation.
AIRVEIN helps you to improve your blood circulation everyday in all aspects of modern life. The AIRVEIN cushion helps prevent the onset of problems related to poor venous return caused by a sedentary lifestyle. On a plane, in the office, or at home, the exercises performed with AIRVEIN cushion tone and lighten your legs.
AIRVEIN offers an answer to the lack of walking activity.
The exercises performed with AIRVEIN imitate the work of muscles during walking and their effectiveness is more significant than simply flexing of the foot.
AIRVEIN reduces venous stasis by activating the muscle pump when in a sitting position.
The beneficial effects of AIRVEIN relieve heavy legs, reduce swelling, numbness, tingling and tension in the legs.
Exercises performed with AIRVEIN contribute to the prevention of chronic venous insufficiency and therefore contribute to reducing the risk of developing deep vein thrombosis (DVT).
AIRVEIN keeps your veins and muscles toned.
AIRVEIN relieves leg swelling and pains during pregnancy and menopause.
AIRVEIN relieves leg numbness and heaviness after a busy working day or during a long flight,
AIRVEIN helps your muscles relax after an intensive physical activity.